Tips on How to Avoid a Kitchen Fire
Did you know that the number one cause of home fires and fire injuries in the United States is caused by cooking? Here are a few tips to implement in your household to keep you and your loved ones safe in the kitchen.
- Keep the area around your stove top clean and free of clutter, especially of items that can catch fire.
- Do not leave food unattended while cooking. Stay in the kitchen and keep a close eye on whatever you are cooking.
- Keep a lid close by in case you need it to extinguish a small grease fire.
- Always unplug counter top alliances when not in use.
- Double-check that everything is off when you finish cooking.
- Keep children at least 3 feet away from a hot stove and/or oven.
- Never disable a smoke alarm while cooking.
- Never use a cooking stove to heat your home.
Unattended cooking is the leading cause of kitchen fires, so be sure to apply these simple tips to assure you and your family stay safe in the kitchen. In the event that you do have a fire in your home, remember, SERVPRO is here to help!