Help Prevent Mold Growth
Molds needs moisture, you're most likely to see mold in damp places such as bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, basements, and crawl spaces. Molds can also grow on your walls, floors, appliances, carpet, or furniture – they can all provide the food mold needs to grow.
It's impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores in your home, but because mold spores can't grow without moisture, reducing moisture in your home is the best way to prevent or eliminate mold growth. If there is already mold growing in your Blackwood or Gloucester Township home, it's important to fix the problem causing the dampness, and then have the professionals at SERVPRO of Blackwood/Gloucester Township come remove or remediate the mold. If you clean up the mold but don't fix the problem, the mold will most likely return.
Here is some advice for reducing moisture throughout the home with specific tips for the areas most prone to dampness and mold growth:
Around the house:
• Use dehumidifiers and air conditioners.
• Keep air conditioning drip pans clean.
• Add insulation to cold surfaces, such as exterior walls, floors, and windows to reduce condensation.
• Dry wet areas within 24 to 48 hours to prevent mold growth.
• Open doors between rooms to increase circulation.
In the kitchen:
• Use exhaust fans to move moisture outside.
• Check for leaks around the kitchen sink, refrigerator ice makers, and other sources of water.
• Empty and clean refrigerator drip pans if necessary.
In basements and crawl spaces:
• Put a plastic cover over dirt in crawl spaces.
• Be sure crawl spaces are well ventilated.
• Consider painting concrete floors and using area rugs instead of wall-to-wall carpet in basements.
• Make sure gutters are working properly and that outdoor landscaping causes water to run away from -- not toward -- the house.
In the laundry room:
• Vent your clothes dryer to the outside.
• Make sure the vent is clear of obstructions.
• Use exhaust fans to remove moisture to the outside
• Check for leaks around basins and tubs and have them repaired if necessary.
• Open a window when showering.
• Avoid leaving damp towels on the floor or in laundry hamper.
In small amounts, mold spores are usually harmless, but when they land on a damp spot in your home, they can start to grow. If you suspect a mold problem in your home or business, call SERVPRO of Blackwood/Gloucester Township for a free estimate. 856-227-7800. Don’t let a mold situation get out of hand. We are Here To Help.