Cooking Safety Tips and Fire Prevention
Cooking fires are the #1 cause of home fires and injuries according to the NFPA (National Fire Protection Agency) The cause is unattended cooking so it is important to be alert and make sure you never leave the kitchen while cooking. A kitchen fire, regardless of the size, can be overwhelming. Most kitchen fires begin on the stove and the damage can affect the entire kitchen along with other areas in the home including walls, ceilings and appliances. A cooking fire is usually started by grease, oil or food which can make cleanup more difficult.
A few tips to remember in the kitchen:
- If a small grease fire starts in a pan, smother the flames by carefully sliding a lid over the pan. Turn off the burner but do not remove the pan.
- Stay in the kichen while you cook
- Remove items such as towels, plastic utenils and pot holders that can catch fire away from stove
- Keep cooking surfaces clean to prevent food & grease build up
- Make sure you have a working smoke alarm
- Make sure you kitchen has a fire extinguisher
- If you need to lave the room, be sure to turn the stove off
For more information on cooking fire safety visit the NFPA website at http://www.nfpa.org/public-education/by-topic/top-causes-of-fire/cooking
Should you experience a kitchen fire that has left you with smoke, soot or fire damage, our office is available 24/7 to help with the cleanup whether it be the building structure or your personal property. Call SERVPRO of Blackwood / Gloucester Township at 856-227-7800.