Let Us Introduce You to Gloucester Twp!
We here at SERVPRO Blackwood/Gloucester TWP call Glendora, NJ home. Community is everything to us and we love our neighbors! Just in our backyard, we have a fun mural that was painted on one of our walls by our friends in the neighborhood! We also have a large, grassy lot that the mural overlooks where we have hosted fun events for everyone. We wanted to share some cool facts about Glendora/Gloucester Twp, to honor our friends and neighbors.
Gloucester township was named after the cathedral town of Gloucester on the banks of the Severn in England. Gloucester Twp is home to one of 175 similar pre-Revolutionary War buildings in the U.S., The Gabreil Daveis Tavern (also known as the Hillman Hospital House). This tavern was built in 1756 near the Big Timber Creek and housed boatmen who used the creek to ship goods to Philadelphia. It was designated a hospital by George Washington during the Revolutionary War. If you visit the tavern, you can walk on the same floorboards and look out the same glass windows as Revolutionary soldiers! This historical site is even depicted on our mural!
Here is a list of well-known people that hail from Gloucester Twp:
- Corey Clement (born 1994), running back for the Philadelphia Eagles and Super Bowl Champion his rookie year in the NFL (Glassboro).
- Linda Fiorentino, actress (Mantua Township).
- Grace Helbig, comedian, actress, author, talk show host, and YouTube personality (Woodbury/Woodbury Heights).
- Tara Lipinski, Olympic gold medal winner, figure skating (Mantua Township).
- Bryant McKinnie, professional football player, Minnesota Vikings (Woodbury).
- Milt Plum, former professional football player, Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Los Angeles Rams and New York Giants (Westville).
- Jimmy Rollins (born 1978), professional baseball player, Philadelphia Phillies (Woolwich Township).
- Patti Smith, punk rock musician (Woodbury).
- Steven Squyres, (scientist) is the Goldwin Smith Professor of Astronomy at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. He is principal investigator of the Mars Exploration Rover Mission (MER) (Wenonah).
- Charles C. Stratton, served as Governor of New Jersey, former Member of Congress(Swedesboro).
Gloucester Twp is home to numerous places worthy of a visit! We have a ton of fun parks, as well as historical ones, many wineries, an outlet shopping center, lots of u-pick farms, historical tours and so much more! When you come visit, take a drive down Black Horse Pike and check out our awesome mural, as well as others our community has painted around town. You’ll see why it’s known as “A great place to live, work and play”!